Packing for a year?!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Despite my best efforts to procrastinate, the packing has started.


I’ve been calling what I have done a “rough draft,” but it sort of looks more like a mess from this picture.


I can’t really give any advice about what to pack & not pack in the way of clothes because I’m still not entirely sure what I’m doing. I have no idea how 9 months of clothes will fit in one luggage.

I’m a serial over-packer and I’m somewhat emotionally attached to all my clothes. What if I forget to pack my green dress and then I want to wear it? I obviously need to pack it just in case. *entire closet gets shoved in my luggage*

I’ve read a million and five Pinterest packing lists & a couple items stood out to me:

  • Collapsible duffle for weekend trips
  • Jacket clip to attach a jacket to a bag instead of carrying it
  • Collapsible laundry bag
  • Copy of important documents
  • Febreeze wrinkle spray
  • Lock for the hostel lockers instead of using theirs
  • Travel water bottle possibly with a filter depending on where you’re going
  • Allergy medication, kind of self-explanatory but some students in the cohort group before me had trouble adjusting to the smog in Santiago so this is a definite item to bring
  • Comfort food! Something as simple as Sour Patch Watermelon will make you feel better on a homesick-kind-of-day

I thought these were interesting because I wouldn't necessarily think/remember to bring them. They're random & mostly obvious items, but I feel like they could be overlooked easily.

I know one of my biggest questions when packing was definitely how many bags do I bring & what size. I decided to pack one huge luggage (literally half my body size) that all my clothes will go in and then my shoes & toiletries will go in a carry-on sized luggage. I’m going to check both and then for the flight, I'll just have my backpack and a cross-body bag. 

I absolutely love the luggage set I got. It was cheap, has a TSA approved lock, and it's a hard shell. This is the set I got & what it looks like in person:

TravelCross Luggage 3 Piece Spinner Set



Half way through the year, I’m planning on making an updated packing list with what I wish I did or didn’t pack. For now, I guess I should just finish packing.

You Might Also Like

0 comments