Made It To Santiago

Thursday, February 18, 2016



My flight was 10 hours long & not that eventful aside from my everyday awkwardness. Just for laughs, I thought I'd share the random things I wrote about while watching hours of James Bond & House of Cards:
  • I'm exhausted, but I already started watching Spectre and I can't just not see how it ends.
  • My Spanish is (really) rusty right now; this should be interesting.
  • I still feel so sorry for the seven people I hit with my duffle bag but those aisles are definitely way too small.
  • Over-packing my backpack meant that it was too big to lift off the ground when the seat in front of me was reclined, which also meant I couldn't actually find any of the stuff I over-packed in it. 
  • Why did I dress nicely? Just for the insta? Poor judgement. Jeans are not the way to go on a 10 hour flight.
  • WHY DID I PUT MY PASSPORT IN THE BAG THAT'S IN THE OVERHEAD COMPARTMENT? ... Also why didn't I look which compartment it went in?....What if it gets stolen?... This stranded and passport-less hypothetical situation wasn't enough to make me get up and get it, but still stressful nevertheless.
  • I really want to go to Cerro San Cristobal when I get there.
After the plane landed, the customs officer kept telling me I had to go to the "policia" and I thought I was being passive aggressively arrested at the airport. She was actually just trying to tell me how and where to register my Chilean visa once I get there. 

When the taxi dropped us off at our AirBnB, the series of unfortunate (mostly laughable) events continued. Between Kendall's luggage falling into the street and almost getting run over by a bus, and then the two of us not being able to unlock our door, it was safe to say we made a gringa-kind-of-entrance.

Accomplishment #1: We got a Chilean SIM Card! We walked- a better term for it would probably be "trekked"- over to Tottus, a shopping center on Vicuña Mackenna. I'm still not entirely sure what happened in the process, but now I have a Chilean phone number so I guess it worked!


Then, we did some touristy sight-seeing and ate a completo (a hotdog with mayo, salsa and tomatoes that tastes just as fattening and random as it sounds.) We couldn't sight-see all that much because we had to meet with the owner of the apartment, but that's definitely the plan for tomorrow!

For now, I'm fighting with a wine bottle, trying to open it with a foreign wine opener that looks more like it could be used to kill someone. I'm definitely not in Kansas anymore.

You Might Also Like

0 comments